- Mind+Body Editor for BELLA New York Magazine responsible for conceptualizing and writing the fitness and wellness section of the magazine. Our goal is to equip readers with empowering content that inspires a healthy lifestyle. (2015-present)
- Contributing writer for many media outlets, including Celebrity Page Magazine, BellaNYC.com, BellaLAMag.com, and Chase.com. (2013-present)
- A decade of experience writing about fitness, fashion, and entertainment for various platforms including VictoriasSecret.com.
- New York City public high school social studies teacher specializing in United States History and AP United States History for fourteen years. (2002-present)
- I received a Bachelor of Arts in United States History from Columbia College, Columbia University in 1997 and a Master of Arts in Social Studies Education in 2002 from Teachers College, Columbia University.
- For the past two years, I have been a writing the new U.S. History curriculum for the New York City Department of Education (2015-present) and I am also a frequent curriculum consultant for New-York Historical Society. (2011-present)
- Available for television and print interviews on education, teaching, fitness, and wellness.
I'm a veteran EDUCATOR & CURRICULUM WRITER with over fifteen years of teaching, curriculum writing & professional development workshop organization experience. Specialties: AP United States History (including the redesigned course), U.S. History (Regents), Economics, United States Government, Google Classroom, and Education Technology. I am in the process of writing the eleventh grade U.S. History curriculum (collaboratively with a team of five other educators and consulting professors) for all New York City high schools to be published in 2018. Additionally, I am often interviewed by the media about my insights about teaching and my experiences as an educator for publications including U.S. News and World Report, Gothamist, Yahoo News, History Hole, and Headline News. Here's coverage on the United Federation of Teachers website and the New York Daily News about my recent TV ad.
As an experienced WRITER & COPYWRITER, I have over a decade of experience covering lifestyle, wellness, fitness, beauty, fashion and music. As the Mind+Body Editor for BELLA New York Magazine, I cover the latest news and trends in wellness and fitness and frequently interview well-known celebrities, trainers, studio owners, health experts, nutritionists, doctors and other medical professionals.
I'm also a contributing writer for Celebrity Page Magazine, BellaNYC.com, BellaLaMag.com, and Chase.com reporting on celebrities, entertainment, fitness, and wellness. My previous projects include digital copywriting and brand strategizing for Victorias Secret (including providing content for this interview with Charli XCX "On Loving The ‘90s & Breaking Fashion’s Rules" on the Official Victoria's Secret Tumblr Page). I also blogged about the intersection of music and fitness for Mizzfit.com where I interviewed artists about their workout habits including Debbie Harry of Blondie and Lucius.
I got my career start in book publishing at Penguin Putnam as a marketing assistant for Ivan Held, the VP/Associate Publisher and Marketing Director for the Viking imprint of Penguin and who is now the President of Putnam, Dutton, and Berkley. As my first boss, he instilled in me valuable lessons about the drive, creativity, and passion that it takes to succeed in the media industry. Even though I was merely an assistant, he allowed me to attend "Hot Titles" meetings and gave me the opportunity to assist in the marketing and publicity campaigns for bestsellers like Bridget Jones's Diary and 48 Laws of Power. I went on to work in Artist Development and Relations for an internet start-up (Musicvision). At the height of the first dot-com boom, I worked with the sales team to provide dynamic digital content while also monetizing websites through advertising and sponsorship deals for some of the top teen pop stars of the late 1990’s, including *NSYNC, Christina Aguilera, and Hanson. In 2000, I provided exclusive content for a weekly *NSYNC newsletter for subscribers by interviewing *NSYNC members and management in order to support the *NSYNC@MSN service, a deal supported by Musicvision between Microsoft and *NSYNC.
I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in United States History from Columbia College, Columbia University in 1997 (where I ran on the Varsity Cross Country and Track teams) and I received a Master of Arts in Social Studies Education from Teachers College, Columbia University in 2002.
In the autumn of 2016, I appeared in the new UFT (United Federation of Teachers) television advertisement that celebrated the dedication of teachers in our New York City public school system! With the backdrop of negative ads and disconcerting news, it was great to be a part of a positive message!
- The ad highlighted the passion and dedication of New York City public school teachers.
- The 30-second spot -- Rock Steady -- ran from September 23rd to October 7th on broadcast stations and cable television networks in the New York City area.
- In addition to the presidential debate, it appeared on Morning Joe, Hardball, the Today Show, Good Morning America, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Mets and Yankees games, The Voice and other widely watched programs.
- Read more about the ad campaign in this New York Daily News article.
Great book review about the Lost Cause politics that gives excellent historical context for today https://t.co/i0Jhtr9mXw